View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Does anyone have a tried and true pancake recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
When we do mix, we do Krusteaz - nothing comes close.

When we do from scratch, it is the Betty Crocker cookbook that we got when we were married 27+ years ago. We substitute 1/2 the flour for whole wheat and then double the amount of baking powder.

Here it is as prescribed (you can do the changes I suggest above for a "meatier" pancake that is still fluffy)

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy (I use an electric beater for this whole process); beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in an additional 1/4 cup mild. Pre-heat griddle (to test griddle, sprinkle a couple drops of water. If bubbles skitter around, heat is just right.)

Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter from tip of a large spoon, a laddle, or pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

To play with this, I've added apples diced to about 1/8" square and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Another is crushed pecans and touch of cinnamon and touch of nutmeg. Another is diced bananas and crushed walnuts. To do any of those, I do the batter first and then when it is ready, stir in the other ingredients.

My sons like to add M&Ms. If you add them to the mix, the colors bleed a bit and make neat designs in the batter and thence in the pancakes.

Tried gummi bears once when they were younger - not a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

PS Went to the Betty Crocker website to get the recipe, there they use Biscuick - so very sad.

This recipe has the eggs till fluffy too. Maybe this is the step I am missing.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote