View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #595
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
So I am trying to understand the difference between "full" sensors and "Cropped" sensors.
And basically from what I understand now a "full" sensor is (as I read) 24mm x 36mm where as a "cropped" sensor is actually smaller. If you compare the two they may both have 12 million pixels but the "cropped" sensor will have them crammed on a smaller space. The full sensor seemed to be at an advantage in most cases with the exception of a "zoom" factor that a cropped lens gives a particular lens.

this is the article I read Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor
Definitely disagree on that point, to an extent.....
Cropped frames make wide angle harder, while telephoto easier.
Because the image is coming from the center of the lens area, "soft" lenses on the outside can suddenly appear sharper.
Due to pixel density, full sensors tend to have less noise than comparable cropped sensors in the same generation.
I switched from cropped to full and could not be happier.