View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: blind 10 spot review(s)

Cigar #1

Construction: 5x52, natural wrapper, a bit veiny

Pre-light Draw: smooth draw, grassy w/ a bit of sour flavor

1st Third: Upon lighting, I detect grass and ammonia flavors. Ammonia flavor has gone, but the grassiness has not. Sweetness has come into play. Still has grassy notes, but the sweetness is in the forefront. Sweetness is still there near the end of the 1st third, but a mustiness is appearing.

2nd Third: Very mellow. Grassiness is faint, as is the sweetness. Nose exhale is very smooth. Not much going on in the second third. It seems that if I want to get any flavors out, I have to rush it, but I’m scared that it will start tunneling. Pretty mild-bodied at this point. At the end of the second third, the grassiness is replaced by wet hay(?) or something like that w/ a bit of mustiness. This stick is becoming more medium-bodied in strength.

Final third: Sweetness has retired completely, replaced by mustiness/wet hay. With about an inch and a half to go, it’s starting to become too harsh in flavor (even after purging), but I smoke on for a bit anyway. A nutty flavor appears momentarily, and the cigar starts to tunnel. At the very end, it peaked and I quite enjoyed this cigar for a minute or two, but the harshness returned and I had to put it out.

Final thoughts: The burn on this cigar was good. It burned even for the most part. I didn’t have to make any corrections in the burn. This cigar was okay for those who love mild sticks, but for me (who is a fan of strong, Nicaraguan sticks with pepper and spice) it wasn’t anything special. This stick was very grassy and later replaced by wet hay. It wasn’t a bad stick; I might smoke another with coffee early in the morning. The grass and hay reminded me of the Reyes stick that I smoked, so I would guess that cigar #1 was a Reyes product, but I might be wrong.

Would I smoke this cigar again? I would pair it with coffee as an early morning smoke, but it wouldn’t be on my favorites list, nor my goto list.
Would I purchase this cigar? If I could get a bundle for around $30 I would, but otherwise no. If I was gifted this cigar I would smoke it, but I don’t feel that it would be worth my money unless it was very cheap.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote