View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #3497
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I thought this would fit here as well as anywhere, no reason to start a new thread, as we did do some massive grilling. Many pictures to follow. This is for you, Brad!

My dad and I have been cooking in a BBQ contests for nearly 25 years. We've placed all over and won back-to-back in Kingstree a few years ago. This weekend we entered the contest with 3 entries. There were a total of 61 teams - all whole hog. $2000 to first place. We managed a 4th place, 10th place, and tie for 23rd place. With the 4th place entry we got $500 and had to give them our pork to sell (all teams in the top 5 do). We were able to sell our other 2 hogs at $10 a pound. We sold about half our remaining and went home with our $1100. It paid for the weekend, plus a little. Lots of good friends, cigars, and cooking. Plus I have about 8 pounds of BBQ in the freezer (just don't want it right now - I've smelled enough to last me a while).

We put the hogs on at 630 pm Friday and served them to the judges at 945 am Sat morning. Cooked two on gas and one on hickory and oak coals. Seven gallons of homemade sauce - all three had the same base - one had honey added, one had extra cayenne pepper, and the last had lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Up all night with a snooze session for each of us. We were beat by the time we made it home around 3 pm Sat. Got half way through the Fl St/Miami game and went down for the count. Open for questions!

Two gas cookers:

Coal cooker:

We were near the beginning - looking back down the field. Half gas, half wood:

02 LCG #1 before we started rolling:

Our front table with a few Kingstree trophies:

Last edited by jjirons69; 10-22-2012 at 06:25 PM.
jjirons69 is offline   Reply With Quote