View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #63
LordOfWu

Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

My name is Mert, and today is 3 weeks post-op for tonsillectomy, reshaping the soft palette, fixing a deviated septum and reducing the turbinate glands in my sinuses. In my sleep study I was found to have 124 apnea events per hour, so my breathing interrupted twice a minute, and my oxygen was down at about 82. I am quite claustrophobic, so pretty much couldn't sleep in any mask...and the cpap had to be turned up so high I panicked because I felt I couldn't exhale, so that led to surgery. Well, that and the fact that my tonsils were 3 and 4 times larger than normal.

As of right now, only three weeks in and still not fully recovered from surgery, I am not snoring, my sinuses are clear and I am actually dreaming again (I couldn't remember the last dream I had before surgery). I would say that the first two weeks were the most miserable thing in my entire life, and I have a history of kidney stones, so I know a little something about being miserable. If you can live with the cpap, do so, cause tonsillectomy and the soft palette reshaping is about the worst thing an adult can go through and not be life threatening, imho.

I am looking forward to this weekend, my first cigar in about 4 weeks!