Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Your favorite album

I can't pick one artist/group, let alone one single album.

A few years ago, I was talking with Ernest Williamson and David Smith (keyboards and bass guitar for Michael Burks) and we were talking about great guitarists (besides their boss, who is a _phenomenal_ blues guitarist in his own right) and we all had kind of the same opinion, and that is picking a single artist over another is very difficult at best, picking a single album over all others, even more so, especially if the artist has a diverse catalog. I love Jimi Hendrix's work, I love Duane Allman's work - two totally different players, I can't classify one as better than the other, sure, once can nitpick technical playing characteristics if they want, but not all great music is made that way. Get into a diverse artist like Zappa for example, don't ask me to pick a single one of FZs albums as my favorite, it's simply not possible, and I have probably every FZ album ever made and then some to pick from.

One thing I will say though, is that I usually prefer the live albums, with all their imperfections over the studio work. Even the technically horrid ones, like the original version of Live at Leeds from The Who, with all it's recording errors and dodgy mic cables causing the clicking and poping, is something that captures the true essense of a band.

Last edited by T.G; 04-08-2010 at 01:37 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote