Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Virginia/Perique (VaPer) Showdown

GL Pease Tribute

I will state up front that this is one of my top 3 VaPer tobaccos. With that said, it is hard for me to smoke it because I have such a limited supply. I was lucky enough to acquire 3 tins of this over the years and every time I smoke some I realize that it is a pleasure that has an ending.

This is a special blend that was distributed in the shadow of the tragedy that happened in New York on September 11th, 2001. Like most Americans, Mr. Pease felt a need to do something so he created this blend and donated all of the profits. There is a great write-up about the process on his website here:

http://www.glpease.com/tribute.html

Here is the tin description:
Tribute is a special blend of red, lemon and stoved red Virginias, perique and toasted cavendish tobacco's. The blend was created by Gregory L. Pease. Production and distribution by Craig and Patty Tarler, Cornell & Diehl, Inc. The tribute was written by Ernest A. Carabillo III.

All profits from the sale of this tobacco were donated to the "Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund". Produced in September, 2001.

From what I have been able to research on the internet there was a First Edition in 2001 and then a Second Edition in 2002. I also found some references that C & D may have distributed this blend afterwards under the name of C & D Nassau but I could not find anything on their website or on tobaccoreviews.com about this blend.

In my opinion, this is Mr. Pease’s opus for VaPers.

My review is from a tin from the First Edition and has aged for over 9 years. Because I never tried this when it was first released this review is completely based on the aged tobacco.

The tin aroma is excellent and certainly all VaPer. When I usually open a fresh tin of any VaPer I can define the different components with my nose. In this case, and I am assuming because of the aging, the aromas have combined into one distinct smell that is intoxicating. The ribbon cut makes this blend very easy to pack and also to light. Once lit, this blend only needed one re-light.

The flavors of this blend immediately make themselves known. The aged Virginia and Perique are intertwined as you smoke this blend. There are no real moments where the Perique or the Virginia take over but rather a constant stream of both. The flavors and strength of this blend increases the closer that you get to the bottom of the bowl. While certainly not overpowering you will definitely feel it as you smoke this blend down. I never tasted the Toasted Cavendish but I did get the sense that it added fullness to this blend that would not have been there if it had been absent. It also seems to keep a balance between all of the tobaccos as well.

Overall this is one of the best blends that I have had the pleasure to try. Not only because of the blend itself but because of the meaning behind why this blend was put together and the fellowship that developed because of it. Mr. Pease I applaud what you, the Tarlers, and everyone else that had a hand in getting this blend out there went through.

I lost a friend in New York. My brother lost his best friend in the Pentagon. There were so many people directly and indirectly affected by what happened. It was a low point in our nation’s history but overall brought us closer together and made a much stronger nation.

This year (2011) will mark the 10 Year Anniversary of what happened on that day. While I understand that this was a limited edition and I certainly understand the reason for keeping it that way, if Greg ever decides to revive this blend either for an anniversary or under another name you can be sure that I will be ordering a lot of this.

“On 11th September, 2001, terrorists killed thousands of Americans. The blow came without provocation or reason, and the tragedy has left emptiness in the hearts of people from all nations.

“Those who seek to defeat us aim to kindle the fires of hatred and despair in our hearts, but they will not. We are united. We will prevail.
“In the years to come, do not forget that hatred took our loved ones away. Please smoke this tobacco in the spirit of peace, and never forget those we lost.

“In the middle of the darkest night
In the glowing of the tiniest ember
We will remember”
—EC III

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
3) GL Pease Tribute
4) Escudo
5) GL Pease Filmore
6) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
7) H & H AJ’s VaPer
8) Low Country’s Waccamaw