Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I have the side of the grate under the food foiled and also have a large drip pan. The bottom vents were originally set between 25% and 50% for 25 or so minutes, but I ended up closing them to get a handle on the temp. The top vent was open all the way. I was using KF blue.
Due to the larger vents on the 26", you might have to close them down much earlier than that. Thinking that in the 25 minutes, you might have had a large number of coals light off.

Also could have been the wind, creating a force draft in there.

Have you checked your lid thermometer for accuracy?

Just looked at your cook times, 4 hours total, that's about right for ribs. You might have been running a bit hot, but possibly not as hot as you might think.

I've long suspected that grate temps on these fire-brick modified webers are actually lower than the lid temps and exhaust temps, but I don't have remote probes to verify it with. My lid temp could be reading one number halfway up the lid, but yet my cook times to the point where I hit desired temp as indicated with a pocket thermometer probe and by feel with a fork, point towards a lower grate temp, like 30 degrees less than the $6 universal gauge from home depot tells me.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote