View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #943
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I decided to break in the new OTG over the weekend and tried making baby back ribs for the first time ever. Sorry I don’t have pics, but the Canon software isn’t compatible with my laptop and the desktop just went kaput. Anyhoo, I used the set up that T.G. suggested. I poured a whole chimneys worth of unlit KF and put around 12 lit briquettes on top. It was a blistering 95* outside. It was windy and took me a while to get the temp stabilized at 330* (according to the lid thermometer that came with the kettle). It was the lowest I could get it. More on that later.

I cleaned two slabs and then rubbed them with this magic dust (about 2/5 down the page), threw a couple chunks of apple on and let them smoke away. The smoke died down after an hour so I threw another chunk on. I was planning on using the 2-2-1 method, but after two hours the meat wasn’t pulling back so I let it go for another hour. I foiled them at the 3 hour mark, sprayed on ¼ cup of apple juice and they were falling off the bone after an hour…might have been too tender for some people. I quickly sauced them and gave it another 15-20 mins to let it set. They came out great for a first attempt…had a good smoke ring, were moist and good overall flavor.

As far as the grill temp goes, I wanted to get it down to 250-275*, but I think the weather and the wind messed with it. Next time, I’ll try using 6 lit briquettes and a water pan over them and see if that helps.

Anyway, If I can find a way to get the temp down, I'll try a pork butt.

Last edited by ucla695; 07-19-2010 at 10:51 AM.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote