View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #29
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Highest Alcohol Beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
Thanks for sharing, but no offense, I found this to be the dumbest article I've ever read. I only say this because of the criteria the author set forth for inclusion on the list and then the clear violation of that criteria by the author. Here is the selection criteria:

The rules: Every beer considered had to be brewed in the United States. Seasonal ales were included, but not limited run ales that are no longer available for purchase. As well, all the beers on the list are available in 12 oz. bottles or on draft

They state pretty clearly no "limited run ales." Yet on the list clear as day is SA Millenium Ale and SA Triple Boch. Millenium Ale was made in extremely limited quantities and only sold in the year 1999 and was never available in a 12 oz bottle or on draft. Triple Boch on the other hand was much easier to get but hasn't been produced since about 1996-1997 and I believe the only size bottle it came in was actually smaller than 12 oz. So, why are these beers on the list? Also, it's very clear to me that this author knows little about beer because they use the term "ales" to refer to all beers. The words "ale" and "beer" are not synonymous. Ale has to be beer but beer does not have to be ale.

I can understand the spirit of the criteria . . . they want to have beers on the list that one can actually get their hands on . . . GREAT! Then why are these two SA beers on the list? It seems to me the author wanted to have SA beers on the list, but didn't want to have them as #1. I have two bottles of Utopias. It's DELICIOUS. Nothing like any other beer you've ever had, but still a beer.

What he said. Very well said, BTW.