Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #67
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Paleo Diet & Lifestyle

Began Crossfit a few months back and am currently 3 weeks into a "Paleo Challenge" which is to eat Paleo for 1 moth. Been strict on it and have seen some interesting results. Started out at 174# by the end of week 1 I was done to 168#, then down to 164# by the end of week 2, but I had absolutely no energy! I would start a workout and within 2 minutes I would be completely gassed out. After speaking to the trainers I was encouraged to eat more, especially more carbs from sweet potatoes and fruit. Since I started mixing in the sweet potatoes I feel like I have limitless energy in the workouts and have noticed great results. I have actually gained 2# over the past week, but it seems to be muscle. Still haven't started leaning out through the belly area, but I am sticking to this thing for 2 months, as several people have told me that it wasn't until 6-8 weeks that they saw major changes in their bodies.

I actually like eating this way better. My meals are tastier and fairly easy to prepare. I spend one day a week grocery shopping and prepping food for the week. I missed bread like many of the people in this thread and found some great recipes for muffins/pancakes that I eat almost daily.

5 eggs
1 cup sweet potato puree (or banana or apple or pumpkin)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda (I know its not Paleo, but it is minimal and gives good texture)
Seasoning to taste (i.e. cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, etc.)
Mix it all up real well and put in a muffin tin and bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or pour onto a griddle to make flapjacks

The toughest part of this diet is that you have to plan out your meals and prep food. My meals are better than what I ate before (tonight's dinner was salmon, sweet potato puree and brussel sprouts vs. my normal of Jack in the Box or pasta). My work provides meal for us, but I have to pack my lunches now as our cafeteria usually serves rice and pasta dishes. When they do serve meat it is usually in a sauce with lots of sugar added, so I can't eat any of it.

I am 3 weeks in a feeling good, but not seeing lots of results in the mirror yet. Glad I spoke with several people who have done this before and encouraged me to stick to it for 2 months, otherwise I would have quit already.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote