WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchy View Post
Hi all, new member here looking to dive back into the world of SMSW. Now, the last bottle I purchased was Laphroaig 10 year old, it came in a white and green container.

And for me it was downright horrendous. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on other scotches that would be similar to this one so I can avoid them, lol.

With that said what recommendations do you guys have for an affordable regular drink and also in the range of $90 USD for more of a special occasions drink. Thanks ahead for any input.
My first bottle of Scotch was Laphroaig 10 year. The initial taste reminded me of the stuff my dentist used to use to deaden an injection site. After a few more sips, the taste mostly went away and I kind of liked it. My father-in-law mentioned he liked Scotch so I gave the mostly full bottle to him.

Weeks later, I was talking to a friend who runs an art shop/cigar/pipe store here about Scotch and he invited me in on a Fri. afternoon to sample some of his collection. My favorite was Balvinie double wood. (Can't remember the other two. I have it written down someplace. I also had my wife drop me off and pick me up.) So, I bought the Balvinie and really enjoyed it. My wife just went to Nebraska and I sent the Balvinie along and had my wife tell my f-i-l if he liked it better to send the Laphroaig back with my wife. So, I've got the Laphroaig to sip on for awhile. He much preferred the Balvinie.

The shop is sponsoring a BBQ/smoker/Scotch tasting April 25th. It includes a BBQ supper, two cigars, a cutter and two drinks out of big selection of Scotch for $40.00. You bet I'm going to that!

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote