View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where do I go next? Smooth but flavorful

Quote:
Originally Posted by La femme View Post
Heh, I figure everything I do as a noob is going to count as a phase since I don't know anything. I'm looking forward to looking back one day and giggling at myself.

I took the suggestion in the first response and went to a local shop. I ended up with a Hemingway and a La Traviata, both Maduro. Here's hoping I like at least one of them.

The problem is that, while I've tried a couple dozen cigars since I started smoking, I feel like I can't trust my own experience. I had a good RP 90 from a shop nearby that doesn't move its stock very quickly, and then a had a terrible, bitter one someone picked up for me somewhere else. My first cigars were flavored, and I remember thinking the Java maduro was okay, but something tells me I'd be underwhelmed by it now that I've gotten away from flavors. I've also ruined some theoretically good cigars by smoking them in the cold or not keeping them at a good humidity. Point is, when I say I hated the Padron 3000, which I did, I'm not sure if it's me or the cigar.

ETA, while I've visited most of the shops in my area, I don't feel like most of the suggestions I've gotten have been very useful. But I'll keep plugging away.
Keep in mind that cigars are an extremely subjective thing. You could have 3,000 people tell you that cigar X is one of the greatest cigars on the planet. But then you smoke one only to find out that you can't stand it. Keep trying cigars and you will find some that you really enjoy. Don't worry about whether it's a high quality cigar or popular. If you like it, it's a good cigar.