View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone making sausage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
That sounds interesting. Do you do it similar to this?
Yes, very similar except that I just put in the towel for the first day and then place the exposed meat on a rack with a paper grocery bag underneath the rack to catch any liquid. I did not see a benefit with keeping towel on it everyday. Also, I just cut from one side and the cover the exposed area with seranwrap. You'll save a lot of meat doing this as that side stays fresh and does not need trimming. You can get 15+ steaks from one NY strip and at Coscto is around $60-75; that is friggin' cheap for so many strips!

If you do a rib eye, make sure it is bone-in and you take the membrane off of the bone (like pork ribs). Strips are the best bet as you don't lose as much when it comes to trimming. The sides get dried out like a scab and the fat gets red on top- all that has to be cut off so it looks like fresh meat. You large cuts as the article says. I also air dry yardbirds for a day or two the same way.

If you are a big steak lover, this is the only way to go; you'll be hooked.