View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Grinder and Press Suggestions

I love the planetary design tabletop press. Double walled insulated stainless. Almost indestructible keeps your coffee scalding hot way longer than it should take you to drink it and they come in cool colors.

http://www.planetarydesign.us/produc...ion=tabletop32

As for a grinder like everyone says they are not cheap. I saw a rocky for 150$ on my local craigslist so you never know when you can find a deal. I personally use a Amand Trosser hand grinder I picked up at a antique store for about 30$. Wouldn't necessarily use it to make espresso but for french press it is great.

Since you are looking at a french press and as a gift for your folks and not for a hobbiest heading down the coffee slope IMHO you have more options on your grinder. I would go for the best burr grinder that you are willing to spring for. I know this is sacrilege but especially for French Press for non coffee geeks grind isn't as important as reliability, ease of use and ease of cleaning. The main issue you are going to get with a less even grind is more sediment in the bottom of the pot and cup. If you don't drink the absolute last sip of either it is no big deal. You never even with the best grinder get totally sediment free coffee. If they really get into coffee and start heading down the slope you have gifts for next year.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote