View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default E.P. Carrillo inaugural 2009

Ernesto Perez-Carrillo once owned of the non Cuban La Gloria Cubana, now part of the General Cigar family and not too long ago he parted from General Cigars to start his own business. The first cigar for his new company was the E.P. Carrillo inaugural 2009 and I was really looking forward to this cigar, that was given to me by an American friend. I read some raving reviews about the cigar and my curiosity grew with every review or mention of this 5⅜x52 cigar. The cigar had a limited production of 150,000 cigars and is made from Nicaraguan and Dominican filler, a double binder, one from Nicaragua, the other from the Dominican republic and an Ecuadorian Habano wrapper.

I love the double band, for some reason I like double bands on cigars. The cigar has a mild barnyard smell. The chocolate brown wrapper is mild oily and has a few thin but long veins. I feel some soft spots in the construction but yet the predraw is a bit hard and quite spicy.

I taste wood, a bit spicy but also musty. The wrapper doesn't look like it's Connecticut, but it tastes like it. A quick look on the E.P. Carrillo website tells me that the wrapper is Habano so I was wrong there. After an inch I taste leather with a little pepper and the flavors are still musty. In the aftertaste is discover a little bit of chocolate.

The cigar gets a little spicier after a third. After that there is hardly no development in the flavor department. The cigar reaches an early turning point, I have to toss it after two thirds.

I smoked the cigar for an hour and fifteen minutes before I tossed it. I got a decent amount of smoke which was not thick enough. The pepper and salt colored ash (more salt than pepper) is firm. The burn and draw are good. The cigar is medium flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Even if it was possible, I wouldn't.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 5 / 10