Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #45
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gas Grill Recommendations

Exactly. The end of season sales are used to clear out merchandise that retailers either don't want to store or think they'll have trouble selling the next season. Quality BBQs like Weber and Napoleon rarely change their designs from season to season and are always in demand because of how good they are. The stores also don't expect to move as many $1000+ BBQs in a year simply because most people will buy the cheaper brands thinking they're getting a bargain so they tend not to stock them in as high a volume.

Nice thing about buying them though is that, while the initial outlay is more, you're also buying a BBQ that will last you at least 10 - 15ys with a little regular maintainence and rarely requires replacement parts. My Napoleon for example carries a limited lifetime warranty on all major parts including cart, oven box, burners, grates, etc. it's a direct replacement for the first 10 years and a 50% replacement from year 11 onwards. I believe Webers warranty is very similar if not better.

Even though is feels expensive when you're making the purchase it pays for itself pretty quickly given how quickly the $300 - $400 BBQs wear out and have to be replaced. Besides, cooking on a good grill is a much much better experience. It's so much easier to to get good consistent results every time you use it. I couldn't imagine going back to a "regular" BBQ now.

It's also the little features that you appreciate. My cooking grids are a good 4" above the flavour diffusers. Means that flare ups are almost never a problem plus I can fit a full size 10" lausanga pan between the diffusers and grids which is perfect for a moisture and drip pan when I'm doing roasts. This pic for example was using that technique a couple weeks ago to do the most amazing bacon and apple stuffed frenched rack of pork. Cook time was 3.5hrs @ 450F, had to refill the pan with water and apple juice twice

mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote