View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #106
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a new laptop- Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Although I'm sure it's fun to do stuff like this, it's also quite crazy, and is (usually) intentionally biased. Do you really think these are equivalent machines? Hint: they are not.

Anytime somebody asks a "Mac or PC" question, people trot out the same old lines. The absolute best advice is to speak with somebody who actually knows about, has current experience with, and uses both Mac and Windows PCs. Otherwise it's just people quoting the same crap that they've read elsewhere.

As for price differences, the key thing to know is that Apple simply does not have a "low end" laptop, and does not play in that segment of the market. So it's easy to find a cheapo Windows laptop and compare it, but you'd be much more informed by a true comparison of similarly priced laptops. Yes, Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc. do actually sell similarly priced machines, with the level of components and sophistication as the Mac laptops. But it's not as much fun to do a true Apples to apples comparison.
I can take a hint...I get that I'm coming across a little heavy handed and biased. I'm just trying to get the point across that just because it has an Apple on it doesn't mean it was made better. If you like the OS fine use it. I'm just saying don't bother to pay 3 times the price for the hardware. The laptops I quoted aren't 100% identical, but they are 95% the same. The only real difference is the CPU and the outer plastic bezels. Use the money you save and buy 7 or 8 boxes of good cigars.

Some people believe that buying a certain name brand is worth paying a little extra. I would say that often I agree. This however is not one of those circumstances. I've taken apart Macs and PCs. I know they buy the same hardware from the same vendors and put them in their laptops. Years ago that wasn't the case. Apple used SCSI hard drives and RISC based CPUs. Both of which were superior to the IDE hard drives and x86 CPUs that PCs were using. However Apple dropped SCSI a long time ago and dropped RISC based CPUs about 3 years ago to adopt Intel x86 based CPUs. Since they have done that there is no real difference between Apple and PC hardware. Hence there is no real justification for them to charge 3 times the price.

I'm not trying to be rude by my repeated posts. I have worked in computers for about 15 years and I'm trying to help shed some light on the subject.

Last edited by 357; 12-19-2009 at 11:48 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote