View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #47
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Ha, I had forgot about this thread. Just went back and re-read it.

I did in fact quit satellite tv in February of 2011 when my contract ran out. Bought 2 Roku XD/S and hooked them up to my TV in the living room and the bedroom. Started out with Netflix and Hulu +. Since then I have upgraded the Rokus a couple times and have them on 3 TVs in my house, My Grandfather's old house next door, and my Dad across the street has one all working off my account. The one at my Grandfathers old house is only for the couple times a year someone visits and stays there. I have an outdoor wifi network and they all kick off of that with no problem. I pay like $11.99 a month for Netflix cause it allows me to stream to 4 devices. Oh yeah and I also have a Roku 2 left over from the upgrades and I have it in a little pack that I take to whichever station I am working at and use it while at work. I have never regretted cutting off the satellite. We watch more TV and more of what we actually want to watch now than we ever did before. I also use Playon. I caught it on sale for like $29.99 for a lifetime license about a year ago then paid the $5.99 for the HD upgrade when it came out. We watch most shows on Playon now, and if it wasn't for my Dad I might just cut Netflix off. Playon has these add on scripts that aren't technically supported by Playon and we use one called 1Channel. It has pretty much every movie and every tv show ever made. I guess it's not technically all legal like. There are lots of other plugins for it that will give you cable packages and allow you to stream ESPN, Movie Channels and pretty much anything you get on cable and it's all streamed live. You have to have a pretty good processor to process the playon but if you do it works very well. Every now and then it will buffer more than I like but it's bearable for me. We have been watching the Waltons for the last month or so and also watch Bones, Chicago Fire, etc. using playon all the time.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote