View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #50
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Official Asylum Metal Detecting & Finds Thread

After a very bland week after the Fourth, I finally decided to make a major change and move from sight searching to detecting. There are several detectorists on my stretch that I regularly compare notes with. My area produces both old and new finds- the guys that regularly surf-search leave a lot of ground to cover, and the sand shifts pretty quickly. Even though I'm holding my own with the number of pieces, I KNOW I'm missing a ton of stuff...

I went with a Whites Surf P.I., an older one I won on-line. Got a great deal for a nice machine- I'm really starting out a level higher than I should be, but I have some support so I hope to do OK.

The Surf P.I. has great depth penetration (12''-15" in wet sand, so say the reviews), more than most machines, so I'm hoping to find some pieces the other fellas miss. The Surf P.I. also has a reputation for picking up EVERYTHING, so I also expect to come out with a lot of trash and relics, too.

Whatever, it should be fun. Can't wait till the machine and my new scoop arrive! Stay tuned!