View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #46
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Official Asylum Metal Detecting & Finds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Can you guys take a picture of your usual 'kit' you take with you? I am assuming its something like a hand shovel, metal detector, and maybe a bigger shovel if you have a high power one? I am just trying to get a feel for what I would need.
My dad would always have stereo headphones. Most metal detectors have the larger headphone jack that work with the nice noise-cancelling headphones. It makes it a lot easier to pickup the sound pitch. This is key for getting to know your detector as they make different pitch sounds for different metal types. Once you get used to it you'll be able to tell silver from aluminum without a guage or visual indicator.

Next you want shovel that is narrow as not to leave a big mess. Basically when you dig you want to create a plug with grass on it that can go right back in the hole and look as if nobody disturbed it. My dad uses one like this. (sorry for the small picture)

The entire thing is no more than 3.5 inches wide and a foot long. It seems to work better than any other variation he's tried.

The only other item he usually has is some kind of cheap 2-pocket bag/apron that he could tie around his waist or sling overhead/shoulder. Basically one pocket for junk and the other for valuables/coins. You dont want to put items caked in mud/dirt into your pants pockets.