View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #34
thechrisdotcom

Trading: (2)
thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cohiba from the DR. Are these fake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Its amazing the amount of misinformation in this thread. The OP is 100% correct. The Dominican Cohiba's pictured are indeed limited to the DR. They are not allowed to be exported to the US due to copyright infringement. But, THEY ARE NOT FAKES! They are exactly what they proclaim to be Dominican produced Cohibas. These were exported in large quantities before the copyright case was litigated in the US courts. http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/...mark-case.aspx

Since 2006 the "Cohiba" trademark has been owned by General Cigar. General Cigar has since been purchased by Swedish Match. They also own the rights to several other previously "Cuban" trademarks such as, Ramon Allones, Bolivar and Cifuentes. I just sent a box of these pre-2006 Cohibas to Hugh(hotreds), perhaps he can post a picture.

There is not an LCDH in the Dominican Republic, nor are Cuban cigars generally available. But neither are Fuentes or most of the other Dominican rolled cigars made for US consumption, cigars are moved to a Duty Free zone and strictly regulated for export only.

The older DR Cohiba's were a mild cigar but certainly smokeable. After a few weeks rest I would not hesitate to light these up. Many fine cigars still are produced in the Dominican Republic although none use Cuban tobacco.
Yeah, I read some stuff about that.

The only thing that got me was the poorly made box with the Cohiba face facing the wrong direction and the poorly constructed cigar. It felt soft and not fulled packed well. It has a few softer spots in areas.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote