View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: looking for a chili recipe

Here's mine.

3lbs ground beef (I like coarsely ground chuck)
2lbs ground buffalo (if you can't find, use all beef)
28oz can of chopped/peeled tomatoes
15oz can of tomato puree
1 12oz bottle of beer (your choice)
1 large onion diced
6 whole garlic cloves (paper skin left on)
2 dried ancho chiles (use more anchos or guajillos if unable to find the other dried chiles)
2 dried guajillo chiles
2 dried new mexico chiles
2 dried puya chiles
2 dried pasilla chiles
2 dried chile negros
2 chipotle chiles w/1Tbsp adobo sauce
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp sugar
Salt/pepper to taste
Remove stems/seeds from the dried chiles. Break up into smaller pieces (2-3in in size). In a sauté pan over medium heat, place pieces of the chiles a couple at a time in pan, pressing down with a spatula. Toast each side of the chiles briefly to blister. You should see just a wisp of smoke. Be careful not to burn. Add toasted chiles to bowl of hot water, enough to cover chiles. Use a plate if needed to submerge the chiles. Soak the chiles for 20-30 mins to rehydrate (reserve soaking liquid). At the same time as toasting the chiles, add the unpeeled garlic to the pan, occasionally turning until each clove is roasted. There will be some black spots on the garlic where it roasted in the pan. That's ok. Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside to cool. Once cooled, remove paper skin.
Add rehydrated chiles, 1 cup of reserved soaking liquid, chipotles/adobo sauce, garlic, cayenne, cumin, coriander, chili powder and sugar to blender. Puree until smooth, adjusting with extra soaking liquid to achieve a consistency of bbq sauce. Strain through a kitchen strainer to remove any remaining seeds and the skins of the chiles. Use a spatula to push the puree through the strainer. Season with salt/pepper and set aside.
Working in batches in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, brown the meat mixture and the onions. Season each batch while browning with salt/pepper. Once last batch of meat is done cooking, add all the meat/onions back to pot. Add chile puree, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and beer to pot. Cover pot and bring to a simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste during cooking adding additional spices as necessary. Best if made a day or 2 ahead, to allow the flavors to combine.
Serve with favorite condiments. (Freshly chopped onions, nacho chips, cheddar cheese, cilantro, fresh chopped chiles, etc) And of course cold cerveza.

If you can't find all of the differrent dried chiles, you can use whatever you can find. I just happend to have all those in the cupboard and needed to use.