View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who has a Vinturi aerator? Amazing!

Nothing will make 2BC taste like Latour, I hope people don't buy into that (as in the YouTube link provided above, the video is a shameless sham with prices and all besides open lies about wine making history).

None of the videos are blind tests when people know up front what to "look" for. Someone should simply hand out 2 glasses without any explanation, better yet 3 (whatever the combo), to see how people choose their favorite. Better still, and I can prove this (done it many a time), pour absolutely same wine into 2 glasses and see how someone will be dead set on arguing one of them is better than the other when asked to choose one. That's true blind to see if someone has a nose and a palate.

For anyone looking to improve a young wine if a decanter (as Moses pointed out above, best choice to aerate a wine) is not available, just use any old (clean) funnel and pour the wine into another bottle (or any jar/vessel) through the funnel. Does absolutely same thing as Vinturi and similar devices and probably better. The method is called "splash decant" in the industry. Cheap and very effective.

I've used the device Razzle pointed out above, its as effective as Vinturi, and actually more so as aeration goes, and having a filtering ability as well to catch sediment. Another added benefit is that you simply insert into the bottle, no need to have a device sitting among bottles/glasses and a chance for an "accident", seen those, too.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote