Old 09-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #1042
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread

If you're leaning towards reef tanks start it out as a FOWLR and if you watch your fish selection, you can add some easy corals here and there. As far as the type of tank, I would do glass unless you get a pretty big tank. Acrylic tanks are nice because it doesn't take 6 guys to carry them lol, but otherwise glass is perfectly fine and will last many years. If you hate scratches, don't do acrylic, because you WILL have scratches lol.

I've heard good things about Manhattan Reefs, and you may also want to check out reefcentral.com, which is also a great forum.

If cost is a concern at first, you can make impressive set ups work with a very simple equipment list, as I have done in the past. Plenty of live rock (which is also not cheap) for natural filtration and good water movement alone can support a lightly stocked tank very easily. I've had a 29 gallon tank and a 340 gallon tank with nothing but live rock, powerheads, and a power filter for mechanical filtration. Both worked very well. I had lots of liverock, a light stock list, and kept up on water changes. I had corals in those setups that thrived as well. It's a viable option until you can afford to go hog wild on equipment, which you will want to do eventually lol. If I do a salt tank again, that's the way I will go.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote