Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #92
ehdg
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (6)
ehdg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
My daughter is also just over 2, as well. Good stuff!!

A Jewish child can be named at any point in their life. In fact, my wife's grandmother was named in her 80's. For a girl, she should be named over the Torah in Shul, a very simple, meaningful prayer is said and BAM! she's got a Jewish name. This should be done at the most immediate Torah reading after her birth. The Torah is read in synogogue ever Mon, Thurs and Shabbos AM. One usually has a small kiddush in her honor on Shabbos. It is never to late, do it ASAP. If you need any further help with this let me know. If you need help with a name, place to go etc. or I could even do the prayer for you...

(side note: Boys are named at their Bris, hopefully on the eigth day after they are born)
Most of this I'm well aware of but thanks for your advise. One question though I always thought, but could be remembering wrong isn't the Torah also taken out and read from on Sunday's with typhillon (sp?)? I could have sworn when I was young they took the Torah out Sunday mornings when I used to go with my dad and then have breakfast afterwards there.
ehdg is offline   Reply With Quote