View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #94
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

First, I guess I should introduce self here. Name is Todd, been smoking pipes and cigars since 1980. I hope that qualifies me as an Old Fart. I normally don't stop over here much, as I have been really enjoying the cigar discussions of late. However, I do read many of the pipe posts.

Now, thought I'd chime in on two different topics broached in this thread.

Rehydrating tobacco & break-in.

I have found a great way to rehydrate "overdry" tobacco (I like to smoke my baccy a little on the dry side). Get a large tupperware (or any container with an airtight seal), say 10X14 and about 5 inches tall. Place a sterile sponge hyper-hydrated with distilled water on a saucer in one corner. Spread your tobacco evenly over the remainder of the bottom and then close. Check first after about 2 hours. Depending on how dry the tobacco and how warm the room, this can work fairly quickly (oh yeah, also the amount of tobacco matters).

This is a good method, as it is a more even way of hydrating than a clay disk or other manner that puts the water in direct contact with the tobacco which can bring on soggy spots.

2) Pipe break-in. When I talk with newbies, I tell them that new pipes need to be smoked slowly to break them in. I have found that choice of tobacco is less important than proper filling and then simply smoking slowly and gently - sipping is the best way to describe it. And, I'd say only sip once every 45 seconds at most. Yes, it takes discipline and patience.

Oh, and expect to get bit if you lose focus.

Find an experienced pipester that can show you how to fill a bowl, if you are not sure. I know there are a number of methods shown on video clips, but I think seeing it live, and allowing to have a hands on feel for how tight a good fill "feels" is helpful. It is true also, that smoking technique is an individual thing and fill may differ for that technique, but only ever so slightly.

I personally also fill the bowl, not this half bowl fill idea. Fill it up and smoke it down. And, if a pipe is going to be dedicated to a certain tobacco, smoke that in it.

Oh, here's another thing to consider. Pipes may groove to a certain type of tobacco more than to any other. I had a nice Don Carlos I was going to dedicate only to straight VA. I wasn't getting the most out of the baccy and if I lost focus, it would bite me. One day I decided to try some Gawith & Hoggarth Mixture #12 in it, and that pipe sang gloriously. It brought out flavors I hadn't noticed before. Oh, and it never bit me again.

Hope this helps.