View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #94
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Stainless mokapot and false crema do not seem to go together. The stainless pot makes excellent moka but I cannot make it produce crema. I've tried a dozen different kinds of freshroasted coffee and played every trick I know on the Bialetti Eleganz stainless pot to make it drool crema but it will not. I have called and written anyone and everyone who knows squat about coffee but there is no answer as to why this is. In fact, I discover, many so-called coffee experts didn't even know that a mokapot could produce the globs of crema that many of us here take for granted. Rookies, guys. We are surrounded by rookies. The best of them told me they had no idea why I can't get a stainless pot to make crema (not that any of them could). Except that my skills must be lacking there was no better answer.

I always felt the metal itself was suspect but couldn't figure out how to prove it.

Now, slightly off topic, I am suddenly struck by something I've known for a long time. My 18-10 stainless steel ibrik will not make AND HOLD decent froth when making turkish coffee. See where this is going?

Since this is now moving outside the scope of mokapots I will continue the discussion at the turkish coffee thread. Good day.