View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Weber Smokey Mtn...

I would suggest not using all lump for at least a while. It can make learning to control your temps much more difficult.

I would use Rancher, Stubbs, or Kingsford Competition briquets. Original Kingsford has too many additives IMO. I don't care for the smell when it is burning nor the flavor that it imparts. The other three are all natural and are basically ground lump held together with a plant starch. You will find they have MUCH less ash.

BTW... a great way to do the Minion method on a WSM is to get a small metal coffee can. Cut out the top and bottom. Put it in the center of your fire ring. Fill the ring outside of the can with briqs. Start about a half a chimney of briqs. Once they are ashed over dump them in the coffee can. Use REALLY long tongs to pull the coffee can up and out (I actually use welder's gloves).

Another thing I am an absolute believer in is running the WSM dry. I filled the water pan with egg rock (some use sand). Over that I put a clay flower pot base (from WalMart) that I covered with HD foil. You will use much less fuel this way, and while the temps are minimally more difficult to keep down, the rock does basically the same job.