View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
WWhermit

Default Re: Need some advice on long term aging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D KC View Post
Good info Hermit!!

Couple questions for you: when you say smaller jars and you usually get about 3oz's per jar, are you talking about the 1/2 pint or full pint jars?

In one paragraph you say: "That's why canning is preferable to vacuum sealing in a bag. No air, not much difference in aging" Then in another you recommend a vacuum sealing product? Am I missing something here?? Or is vacuum sealing it in a jar better then in a bag because the jar will leave some air in it?

And am I reading it correctly that you have to buy special lids or something for the sealing attatchment deal?? I'm not getting a clear answer on that from what I'm reading.. My wife has been wanting one of these foodsaver deals for a while now, and hey if I can get some use out of it all the better!!
To answer question #1

When you seal in a bag, it takes out 99% of the air. Not enough air to facilitate aging. When you seal in a mason jar, you can't get all the air out, just enough to create an air tight seal. With tobacco, you don't even really see a difference when the vacuum is complete. You do, however, when you try to take the lid off. Most of the time you have to pry it off with a knife. Even after a year.

#2. No special lids required at all. In fact, for tobacco, since I boil water in the jar in the microwave, and sterilize the lid in boiling water in a small saucepan, I use the same jars/lids over and over until they can't seal anymore. I've only had one do that.

#3. If you shop at Costco, they sell them there. It comes with a package of bags, I believe. You can buy the rolls there too, to make your own sized bags. And, you can buy meat and cheese in bulk, vacuum them in the bags, and toss the meat in the freezer. I've taken steaks out that were a year old, and found no difference in the meat quality. Your wife will love it.

We used to throw out about 30-50% of our meat from the freezer due to burn or just going bad. Now, we don't throw any away. You will make your money back in the first 2 months.

WWhermit