View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spent $22 today, please tell me what I got.

Nice get.

I am no pipe appraiser but... Figuring out the monetary value of the pipes you bought hinges on things we can't see in the pictures. I'll guarantee you if they were all flawless they'd be worth more than $15 if that helps. They look like they were rode hard and put up wet and, probably, none are of substantial value. Ropps are too common (closed in 1991 so there ain't no more) but leather wraps are usually to cover flawed briar - and for all I know a certain Ropp leatherbound is priceless in any condition (but probably not ); Ropp was regarded for its cherrywoods. The Bjarne and the Stanwell are very nice to my eye but I have no idea what they're worth. You'd have to dig in and do some research to value them after their conditions are better known. Rather than what they're worth I think this forum is more geared to how pipes can be cleaned up, how they smoke, how to tweak performance and how much we enjoy smoking them. To wit:

If the Bjarne, Stannie and Ropp aren't burned out or cracked they'll probably make fine smoking pipes. Cleaning them up yourself can be a great pleasure when you finally fill and smoke the end result. Making them pretty, by the way, isn't rocket science. You have the reamer - all you need now is a few cotton balls, a pint of Everclear (or 91% rubbing alcohol), some stuff to deoxidize and polish the stems and a some briar polish. A lowspeed buffer is nice but handpolishing is safe and effective, too. Briar polish, by the way, can be as simple as olive oil. Making stems gleam can require as little as rubbing with toothpaste, baking soda, a Magic Eraser or some MicroMesh polishing cloth - wipe clean with olive oil.

Oh yeah... I'll double your investment and give you $6.00 cash money for the Stanwell right now. Made nice it might get $30 on ebay.

See some possibilities - http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...hlight=brakner