Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Homemade Kalauha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Why instant coffee and not something like expresso?
Hurm...

Might work. Need to think about it a bit though...

Besides the obvious of "that's how I received the recipe" and "not everyone has access to a decent espresso machine, but anyone can pick up some instant coffee for a few dollars"

Most instant coffee is supposed to be used at 1 teaspoon per 6oz water, 2 cups = 16oz. 10 teaspoons into 16oz = over three times more concentrated, 15 teaspoons = about 5 times more concentrated.

I don't know how many teaspoons of instant coffee one would use to make a faux or pseudo espresso shot, but I think 3 to 5 sounds reasonable.

So, I guess one could make up 2 cups (16 oz) worth of strong espresso and try it in place of the instant coffee and the water.

It might even work out better with espresso, I dunno, but it would definitely open up a new set of flavors one could get from the greater selection of beans to choose from.

One thing I would wonder about is the little bit of ground coffee that ends up in every cup of espresso. You would probably not want this added to the pot to simmer as a one hour long simmer might cause this bit of grinds to turn the entire batch very bitter. I would think that pouring the espresso through a coffee filter would probably solve that issue though.

But, I don't have an espresso machine, so I can't try it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote