View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #849
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Seeing as I am also new... this might be the blind leading the blind... but there are all kinds of tools you can have for pipes...

A tamper or pipe nail is a must for the ash on top of bowls...

A pipe rest is nice in case you must set it down for a while...

A pipe knife is a slightly more expensive alternative that has the same features and a blade that will let you cut up your baccy any way you like...

A cork knocker is nice for your ashtray so you don't risk damaging valuable pipes...

you can get Ashtrays with knockers installed, and formed pipe rests...

you can get shelves or cabinets built with special storage for your pipes and baccy...

If you like smoking a pipe on the go you can get a "Mayflower Pouch" or "columbus pouch" that holds your baccy and pipe safely in your pocket...

If your pipes get really dirty you can get a reamer and carefully remove excess cake...

As with cigars... the question is what will you use and what will you need...

I would say a rest and a tamper or knife is a good start... most say a pipe lighter is also a must have... But its important to keep in mind that the one thing about pipe smoking is it really is as simple as pack it up and light it on fire if you want it to be...
That's some kinda long, scary looking list for a newguy. How 'bout a pack of matches, a golf tee and a 100-count bag of pipecleaners.

First you need to draw them in, all paper book matches innocent-like. Pounce later with the long lists of plutonium-powered pipe lighters.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 04-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote