View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I totally suck at bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
Scott, we used to be constantly late with bills, but unfortunately we can't follow the procedure above alot of the time because we get paid bi-monthly.

So our process is:
1) Get a calendar with room to write in the box each day.
2) Upon receipt of bill, open it, and mark the payee and $$ on the date 7 days prior to due date on the calendar.
3) File the opened bills in order of due date (we use a hanging plastic file).
4) On payday, pay as many bills as possible, depending on the amounts.
5) Mail bill and check that day or next, or use online bill pay (we do online, when possible).

This all sounds complicated, but the initial setup takes an hour or so, and when a bill arrives, it takes a few minutes to mark it on the calendar. Depending on the frequency of your pay periods, it may take 1/2 to an hour to write checks or do the online payment thing.

This process is what got us out of our bad habits and having to pay those ungodly late fees that you get hit with now. Now we have the bills under control, and my wife or myself can sit down twice a month to get everything paid in advance of the due dates, normally with money to spare.

That's good stuff, Charlie.
I think I'm going to employ that and one of the badass bill organizers Greg posted.
That oughta get it under control.
I already called about getting a job. I think I'm gonna go back to work.