jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Off-gassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Had to check...ammonia in non-flammable under normal conditions, without a catalyst.
Glad you looked; saved me the trouble, as I was thinking the same thing. Tobacco leaves, like lots of Carbon-based substances, will have some volatile organic compounds in it. Another thing that would be present in burning of tobacco leaves, like many other Carbon compounds, is Carbon Monoxide, which IS highly flammable. In the burning of a cigar, combustion of the leaves can be "incomplete", for lack of a better description, and instead of making just Carbon Dioxide from leaf combustion, some Carbon Monoxide is formed also. This flammable compound could build in the stogie also. Purge it out of the stick with an open flame and you will see what is being discussed. I would not think so with ammonia alone.

Also would not think purging would cool the torch-lit end of a cigar, as one member posted. You are forcefully adding air to embers; it will only help combustion and heat up more. Try it on a larger scale by using a leaf blower to help you get a brush fire going, if you're not having much luck; it WILL fan those embers into flame.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote