View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Col. & Rev. - Review McClelland Beacon Extra

McClelland Beacon Extra
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: McClelland does broken flake like nobody else, and this is a great example of densely packed, dark brown, broken flakes. Very good looking tobacco.

Score for aesthetics:4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: Well, even if you didn’t have your eyes open, you knew this was a McClelland product, the tin note gives it away as such, that particular scent that declares this a McC Virginia. This is a rich VA with Perique, at least to my nose. Firm broken flakes.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.8

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: To me, McC broken flakes come a little moist, so I rubbed some out and let it sit out for about an hour and a half before packing a pipe. A couple matches and a few tamps to get a nice charred, and then even light going.

Score for post-light construction: 4.4

4) Flavor and strength: Very tasty blend. The first thing that hits you is a prune-ish, light spice from the Perique. The Perique seems to be in the forefront (I like that), but the Virginias in this play a prominent role, filling the spice with rich sweetness. This is sweeter than my go to blend, G&H Louisiana Flake, which is richer and the sweetness more muted. It carries a potent nic hit for those who succumb to such things, so be careful – I personally like it. Hints of cocoa and cinnamon shine through. I like the complexity as it is not at all one-dimensional.

Score for flavor and strength: 4.7

5) Aftertaste/Finish: This finishes nicely, not as heavy as the flavors would seem to indicate, the Perique seems to linger the longest, but sweetly.

Score for finish: 4.5

6) Aroma: Rich, sweet, tobacco and slight spice.

Score for aroma: 4.7

7) General Comments A friend, ColKurtz gave me a sample of this to try. I think I can at least get another three bowls out of that sample.

Overall score for the tobacco: 4.666667

8) Recommendation: A pox on ColKurtz for giving me a sample of this, now I have to buy some for myself, doggonit! Thank you very much.