View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mac and DaBear's LFD NAS vs. LFD Cheroot/Icepick Review

Cheroot/Icepick

Appearance-wise, the Cheroot is a lighter brown with a wrapper with more veins. Not quite as lumpy as the NAS, but where there are, they're much more pronounced.

The initial puffs bring me nuttiness with a slight spice of the finish. This settles into that profile fairly nicely, with more spice mixed in, though the spice is less of a pepper than with the NAS and more of a cooking spice(like cinnamon). The spice begins to fade by the middle of the first third and the profile settles into a dry nutty, almost woodiness, theres just the faintest touch of sweetness that keeps me saying nutty as opposed to woody. Burn is a touch wavy, but fortunately I can put it down on the ashtray to type a sentence here and there without worrying about it going out on me, like I had with the NAS.

First third score: 4/5

As I get into the second third, more of the same, with a bit of a leather trying to mix its way in. Burn continues to be great, even got up to help a customer and came back to a still lit cigar. Honestly, this is one of the best burns I've had from one of these, normally they're more finnicky. The leather becomes the predominant flavor by the end of the second third with the nuttiness hanging around on the finish with a little spice. Strength has been hanging around medium plus thus far.

Second third score 4.5/5(.5 bump just for the absolute lack of a burn issue in this third)

Entering the final third the profile stays the same with maybe a touch more spice, though that may just be me plugging away at it. Strength has kicked up a touch to medium-full. As I finish there's not much more to add to the profile, maybe finishing a touch drier.

Final third score: 4/5

Overall score: 4/5

While not exactly complex per se, this did have a little flavor progression that was enjoyable. Not to mention, the profile was much more fit to my palate, than the NAS. Frankly, the burn on this particular one was the best I've ever had out of these, so that certainly adds a touch to the score, but for me, unless the burn is completely awful, I try not to look at that as a detriment or addition to a cigar.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote