Thread: opinion please
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
For what it's worth, I have many Opus-X in my stash. I have not bought any in at least 3 years. Most of what I have are 5 yo and older. I have 9 left that are from 1997, the first year of the official public release. 5 of those are my favorite Petite Lancero.

DaBear is correct, in part. Opus-X are generally very good when young, the spiciness if sweeter and the other flavors are brighter. I've always suggested they be smoked within the first 6 months. Afterward, they should be allowed to rest for at least 2 1/2 to 3 years, at which time they become very interesting smokes. Usually, very spicy and full of deep flavors. After 5 years or so, they become more mellow all around, however, they are still very full of subtle flavor notes.
I was mainly just speaking on the Angel's Shares. I've never been a big fan of regular Opus, especially when fresh(to me they need at least a few years of down time). That said, the last batch of A's we got were quite good, though I suspect they had been sitting in Fuente's warehouse for awhile as they still had the Destino al Siglo bands on em.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote