Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ISO: Made in the USA cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropshadow View Post
my comment regarding xikars...is because many people have referred me to xikar citing that they are made in the USA. at one point in time, yes, xikars were manufactured in the US, but like many cigar accessroy maufacturers, they have started producing them in asia. many people still think xikar is US-made including some very high end shoppes in DFW where i am. i am surprised at how many people still believe that xikars are US-made. it's not a swipe at xikar, i think they make some very nice cutters. it's not a swipe at asian-made cutters. i've seen some very nice prometheus cutters that use japanese surgical steel - made in s.korea. and i've seen davidoff cutters with the same german steel that is still used in top-of-the-line henkel knives. i will admit that i tend to think less of xikars because they are using cheap china steel. but i was merely trying to head off any referrals to xikar because i've already done my homework there. for my purposes, i am trying to source a good US made cutter, especially the scissor type. i've been at it for 3 weeks and...nothing
you should read the autumn 2010 issue of ECCJ where they interview the production managers of the Wolfertz factory in Solingen germany where even the standard plastic handled xikars are still made. so before you go saying whats what please check your facts. I believe it is the next line up that is chinese assembled and has chinese handles but still german blades which by trade law makes it made in china. Mine has german blades and dead mammoth for a handle (made in kentucky) don't know where it was assembled. global market at work
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote