View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Robusto "A" Reviews/Discussion

Cigar A #2 - After supper a couple of night later, Apple Pie Moonshine as drink, 1 and 1/2 hours, listening to random iPod in the garage, Reading Midnight Lunch, supplement heat via Mr. Heater propane heater while lounging in my stadium chair. Punched cut.

Review Format
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...
A little veiny, with a couple of larger than normal veins going the length of the stick, barberpole-style. Small blemish from the band removal process, but it never frayed and smoked right through it without an issue. Not quite as solid feeling as the first, but no slouch either. Dark brown, possibly a maduro, darker than a sun grown. Hard to tell from the looks. Not dyed.

Score for aesthetics: 3.8

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?
Well made. Not soft nor loose, yet not quite as dense feeling as the first one. Smelled of dry hay or horse manure, but not in a bad way, reminds of a barnyard. Pleasant in a way.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.0

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?
Punched cleanly, no cracks. Looks to be double-capped. Easy draw and easy to smoke. Not much effort to get lots of smoke, just like the first one. For only sitting a few days, it was surprisingly easy to smoke. The ash again was white to like grey and was solid. Sill think here's a lot of Nicaragua in this stick. Did not flake and held it's own. Never got hot during the hour and a half smoke.

Score for post-light construction: 4.2

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?
Took the flame well and lit perfectly. Flavor wheel gives a leather, earthy, woody flavor. A little creamy. First several puffs then spice in the back of the throat then on the tongue. The APM washed it away each time. Again, just enough to get a feeling of spice without the blast that I don't enjoy. I don't like to be punched in the mouth by my smokes. After 1/2", spice dies to nothing and leather, wood, and cocoa take the wheel. - 4.0

4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3: Smoking well. Burned just fine, but not quite as sharp as the first. It was still well-behaved and I only touched it up because it wanted me to. In the middle of the second half the spice comes and goes. Not a nasal smoke at all. Creamy, rich medium smoke with continued leather, wood, and cocoa. Dare say toast flavors popped in. Not overly complex, just a consistent one-trick pony, but hey, those kind of smokes are appreciated. - 4.1

4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3: Flavors are more creamier now. Never got hot nor bitter, even with the cocoa flavors. Spice is all but gone. Again, the finish is longer now and goes well with the APM. Warm, creamy, leather, wood, and cocoa. After a swallow of drink while reading, maybe a long finish of Cocoa Crispies or something like that. Continues to burn great and that means a lot with some of the sticks I've had. Flavors are forever hidden or trapped if the stick won't burn properly. A good smoke. - 4.2

Score for flavor and strength: 4.1

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh? It was medium to med-full. Spice initially for half a dozen puffs then every now and then in the middle. Mild spice, though. Maybe cedary, but the leather dominated the most of the flavors for me in the after tastes. Went well with my drink and the full stomach made it an uneventful nicotine ride. Short finish in the begin building to a longer, sweet finish at the end.

Score for aftertaste: 4.2

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? floral, perfumed, grassy, harsh, woodsy, overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent? Typical dark NC smells. The first thing that pops in my head is a barn when I smell the stick. Not grassy nor floral. Never overpowering. Very pleasant

Score for aroma: 4.1

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Did they appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy them? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") and give it an overall score.
See summary

Overall score for the cigar. 24.4/30 (or 81/100 for those that like the base 10 scale)

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain:
Not Recommended; Possibly Recommended; Recommended; Highly Recommended See summary