Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #149
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Trading: (3)
aldukes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post

Great idea dukes, except again, way more advanced than what I was looking for.

About all I know when I drink a wine is if I like it or not. I have no idea how each varietal is supposed to taste, much less how different regions should and do taste.
There is no real answer to how a grape tastes. Pinot Noir from CA differs from Pinot Noir in France and so on. Do they share some characteristics?- of course, but how the grape is grown,fermented,stored,etc changes everything.

I think this would be awesome for newbie drinkers- naming a producer and having someone tell you what is good- isnt the right way to drink wine- finding out what you enjoy is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Al's plan does not fit my buying habits. I find wines I like by tasting them, trying out ones that are recommended and finding regions/varietals that I like and expanding on them. I usually don't buy random bottles of wine. With money getting tighter I am looking at slashing my spending on wine. I have already cut my cigar spending.
This wouldnt be buying random bottles of wine- this would work exactly the same way you find out about wine- by tasting, then finding regions or varietals that you enjoy.

This is will be as accessible as possible- so everyone can participate. Pick up whatever you can afford.
aldukes is offline   Reply With Quote