View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
Hockey4life

Default Re: Am I being too picky? (picture heavy)

Guys

This is my first post on this forum and sorry it might be a bit long. I'm the builder of Mike's, Andrew's and Frank's humidors. I’ve also built two other humidors for friends and countless keepsake boxes, just never turned them into humidors.

I think I have only smoked......3 cigars in my life and I know what you guys are saying right about now!!!! I have this little deterrent called Asthma that does not mix well with cigars, but when I have smoked them I just tell my wife I'm conducting "research." Of course she laughs when I take a puff from a cigar and then a puff from an inhaler. So point being, I'm not all that familiar with cigars.

I am familiar with woodworking though, so here is my opinion coming from a builder. I don't know this guy who built this humidor nor would I ever criticize someone else’s work. But I’m just guessing that this is an example of when a hobby becomes a business. You start cutting corners to get the work out and done quicker. I have a disclaimer that I give to anyone who wants a humidor and that is that I cannot be held to a time line. I have career and family that has to come first. Woodworking comes second.

So again my opinion coming from a builder. You are absolutely right that the hinges should be recessed into the base of the humidor. By doing just that, the lid would fit flat and flush to the base and you probably may not have sent the humidor back as fast. The problem with recessing the hinges is that it takes time and set-up and again you cut corners because this is a hobby that is mutating into a business.

Second, from the pictures it looks like he has veneered the hard wood to the soft wood. If in fact the soft wood used as a substrate is pine (although it looks a little like Poplar) it's a very poor choice unless it's very straight grained. I prefer to use MDF or plywood as a substrate. It's not as affected by moisture, stays flatter and usually will not warp. Just curious what species of hardwood he used on the outside? All the humidors I have built are solid wood. I have veneered some pieces, but the bulk of the humidor is solid wood with the Spanish cedar lining.

If you are interested in another humidor, let me know. I can also send pictures

Hope you do get the money back. Good luck