View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #72
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Popcorn Popper Coffee Roasting

Thought I’d report back with some of my experiences with the Popcorn Popper Coffee Roasting method after roasting 15 batches or there abouts

1-For me one fill of the "measuring top dumper thing" is just not enough so I did two. This is a limitation that I find make this method slightly irritating and will eventually make me trade up.

2- Letting your popper run for 30 seconds does help heat up the unit but be prepared to get those beans moving RIGHT AWAY when you dump them in or they will scorch.

3-Sounds counter intuitive but yes more beans in the popper makes (or probably RETAINS) more heat and thus the beans roast quicker but as noted below keep those beans moving.

4-You really have to get those beans moving because if you don’t they’ll scorch and not "tasta so good". What I did was
A-Remove the "dumper measuring thing" out,
B-cover it with a cloth to prevent the scaffe from getting everywhere,
C-take a wood spoon stick it down the throat of the whole thing and stir A LOT.
This gets those beans moving and prevents scorching and creates a more even roast.

5- After the beans have lost some of their weight and expanded they will move more freely. That doesn’t mean to get complacent as you still need to stir.

These have been my experiences with my particular popcorn popper. I have read that they all heat different depending on the…. Element, cord length, power supplied by outlet, variety of beans roasting etc etc. I have found that you can get a great roast from them but does require a bit of skill/practice.