View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #19
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Weber or Big Green Egg?

I had this EXACT same decision about four years ago!
The Weber Performer is a fantastic grill and will last for a long time. It's the same grill used by the BBQ Pit Boys on their You Tube channel. I'd suggest everyone interested in any kind of outdoor cooking check them out. But with all of that said, I chose the BGE and here's why:
1. It'll likely be the last grill you'll ever buy.
2. It's easily the most versatile grill you'll ever buy.
3. Burgers, hot dogs, bread, pizza, baked beans, dutch oven dishes, meats, seafood, I haven't found anything I couldn't cook on it yet.

Yes it's more expensive however I've made done my best outdoor grilling on the BGE and I feel I've become a better cook because of it. The Weber Performer is easily my second choice on the matter, charcoal of course.

Now if you're not interested in grilling or smoking with charcoal then by all means spend the 300 and find a cheap propane grill. But if you're interested in learning the art of the grill and building the fire for it then go with one of these two grills.

As for the efficiency of the BGE, during the last winter olympics I got it to 700 degrees with a howling wind outside at 20 degrees and grilled two rib eye steaks and baked two potatoes along with asparagus marinated in olive oil and sea salt.

The steaks literally took two minutes per side. That is one thing the steel Weber can't do as to the thick walls of the BGE.

I'm going to make ribs today in fact!

Either way you can't go wrong! That I promise!

Last edited by blugill; 04-21-2013 at 06:54 AM.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote