View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How or where can I find pipe values?

Understanding Ken' question right off the bat, I knew that he was looking for a 'blue book' of pipes or a web page or two for the value of certain pipes.

Pipe values, unlike antique oil lamps, game bird plates, or coins, I believe are based more on intrinsic values. In essence, people may place a certain value on the carver (domestic/foreign), pipe style (apple, billiard, poker...), type of wood (domestic/foreign briar...), is it smooth, rusticated, age and condition of the pipe, sentimental value (gee, looks just like the pipe good ol' uncle
Bert use to smoke...), and blah, blah, blah, and blah....

Best bet is to monitor *bay and other web sites dedicated to selling estate pipes (and there are many of them) to get a good idea of the potential value of a particular pipe.

Hope my 3 cents helps you out...

ps. I haven't done this yet, but possibly walking into your local pawn shop may produce a beauty of a pipe as well