Thread: The Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #594
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Went down today and bought the magnum, just a few more questions, one is when I bought it, the store was storing all the vintage ports standing upright, not how I thought they were supposed to be laying Down with the white wax facing up. Since the bottle is so old is there a chance the cork dried up and the port spoiled? I doubt the bottle has been in the store for 29 years, but who knows?? Also when you said to decant for 6-7 hours before drinking do you mean in an open top decanter to aerate the wine or one that has a glass lid to pour and strain then put the lid on? Thanks
I doubt it has been standing up that long either and it's fine if it stays standing for the short term as well.

Yes, the 6-7 hours is in a decanter poured from the magnum through a layer of cheesecloth.

Easiest method is to pour the whole magnum into a decanter (or whatever glass container large enough - even 2 different ones) with cheesecloth. Rinse the magnum out with just cold water to get all sediment out of it. Pour the port back into the magnum. Take a small initial glass for a "pop and pour taste". Continue taking very small glasses hourly until 6-7 hour minimum period before serving. You'll get to see how the port evolves over time.