View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #32
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone seriosuly looking at the new DROID?

ahhh.... today was FUN. Sauntered over to the Verizon store and did the obligatory touch and feel on both the Moto Droid and the HTC Eris. I'm extremely picky about my phones, so here's my thoughts as an android newbie. Overall, I just wish the two of them would have a child....

Droid Pros:
  • Hardware keyboard.
  • Fast CPU
  • Android 2.0
  • Latest google maps.
  • F*ING GORGEOUS 854×480 screen, amazingly crisp
  • Screen supports multi-touch
  • very "solid" feel.

Droid Cons:
  • Hardware keyboard SUCKS. IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between keys.
  • Android 2.0 is a "stock" android OS, needs a little refining.
  • "touch" buttons below the screen would be a lot easier if they were actual hardware buttons.
  • Default on screen portrait keyboard is useless. Other options exist on the marketplace however.
  • No navigation d-pad or trackball on the outside of the phone to make one-handed operation easier.
  • Heavy

Eris Pros:
  • HTC proprietary "Sense" user interface is a beautiful modification to the stock Android OS.
  • Smaller, more lightweight phone.
  • Hardware buttons below the screen.
  • Trackball below the screen. GREAT for one handed use.
  • "stock" On screen keyboard in portrait mode is AWESOME for one AND two handed use. It's similar to the layout on the blackberry pearl, a qwerty keyboard with half the keys and software to guess what you meant (qw er ty ui op).

Eris Cons:
  • No hardware keyboard.
  • Outdated and slow hardware. When it gets the upgrade to Android 2.0 (word is that it will), it's gonna be a SLOOOOOOW phone.
  • Screen res is "only" 320x480 (nice, but normal at this stage)

My final take?
Both are great phones for specific purposes. If speedy one handed navigation is what you want, the Eris kicks the Droid in the groin. But if a powerhouse of new features and do-all functionality is what you want, then the Droid wins out hands down. Major points would have gone to the Eris if it had come with better hardware that was not already outdated. Personally, I buy my phones to keep for a few years, so I will probably get the droid for two reasons:
  1. My patience with windows mobile has worn out. I don't have a year to wait for something better, and I think Android is my next OS, hands down. All the customizing of WM, none of the suck.
  2. I want my hardware to be FAST, so that it still is pleasurable to use a year from now.
For those two reasons, there's a damned good chance a Droid is in my future. But it's definitely not perfect, not by a long shot.

A few more resources for you guys:

Buying one of the new droids? It APPEARS that this will get you $50 off of it for the moment. (works for new AND existing VZW accounts)
http://phandroid.com/2009/11/06/buy-...nd-droid-eris/

New to the Android OS? Here's some great apps to get you started:
http://phandroid.com/2009/11/06/50-a...-droid-owners/

Last edited by spectrrr; 11-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote