View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #84
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dream humidor construction in progress- help?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
1) Anyone know of a good place to get wood? (ha)
2) Does the inside HAVE to be lined with Spanish Cedar? or will just Cedar work? How thick of a lining?
3) Darrell thinks a 1/4 inch wall, and tongue and groove seals separating the compartments will hold humidity, anyone know/have anything to say about this?
4) What beads should I use? everyone on here seems viciously loyal to their bead brands.
1) Anywhere you can get it. My local menards actually sells spanish cedar, it's expensive tho.

2) You can substitute a little mohagany instead of cedar, but your cigars won't get that great cedar smell nor does it protect against worms. Regular cedar isn't very good, it doesn't absorb as well and has a strong woody odor.

3) I can't say for sure since I don't build humidors, but I don't think this would have too much of a problem. I wonder about how far moisture gets absorbed tho, you might have a little loss if it absorbs further than 1/4". PM Waxingmoon on these forums, Ed is pretty knowledgeable, he should know.

4) I'm not going to recommend one brand or another since this always leads to a fight on the forums. But both brands do their job very well. I will say tho that (Disclaimer: IN MY EXPERIENCE) recharging heartfelt beads is far easier than hcm beads, however hcm beads seem to last longer on a single charge, so take your pick.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote