View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking to get 1st French Press, Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I just cannot get behind a whirleyblade (it's a chopper/smasher, not a grinder - it makes way more boulders and dust than you want with a press if $99 is in the budget) for coffee, except maybe for paper drip filter as the limit. The Baratza (Solis) Maestro looks like the dog to beat - $99. It will do well for drip/press coffee for many years; passable for moka and C-minus marginal for espresso.

http://www.espressozone.com/burr-cof...FQIwxwodHyjKiw
Not going to disagree with using a good-excellent burr grinder since they can't be beat. I do however suggest getting a good one and if money is a problem then get a blade for now, it will only make one appreciate a burr that much more when the money is saved.

Sweet Maria's has this to say...

"Everyone talks about "conical burr grinders" as a requirement for good coffee brewing. But the fact is that pour-over or automatic drip brewing does not require these expensive mills. The humble little blade grinder is a remarkable little machine, long-lasting, low-maintenance, and not $100! My only gripe with blade mills is that some struggle to grind even the smallest amount of coffee ... and if you have to grind for a longer time, the motor will start to heat up the coffee grinds -not a good thing. But the C-Mill electric coffee grinder has a very strong and precise motor. It beats the pants off the Krups or Braun mills out there, The coffee beans don't get crushed, but rapidly cut. important so the coffee isn't heated in the grinding process (which can damage the coffee flavor). The C-Mill grinds 1.6 oz of coffee at a time. It is 7" tall, about 4" in diameter."

The bodum c-mill is $25.

Still, after many years of a using many blade grinders there is a huge difference in what a good burr will give you.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote