Old 12-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #46
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sushi

Stu, you are going to have a great time I'm sure. Where in Japan are you going? I'm envious because Japan is one of those places to visit before I die and I've never been.

Anyways when I was first introduced to sushi I started with the traditional types. And I started with Nigiri Sushi (the fish on an oblong ball of rice) as Sashimi just seemed to exotic at the time. I started mild with Unagi and Ebi (Eel and Shrimp) as both had cooked fish on top of the rice. Kind of got me used to the format. Then I moved on to Maguro and Hamachi (tuna and yellowtail) which has the raw fish and then branched out into the more exotic Nigiri Sushi. I then made my way into rolls and then finally into Sashimi. By the time I reached Sashimi I had a very healthy appreciation for sushi.

I would suggest for your first order at a restaurant or Sushi bar you order an order of Unagi, Ebi and Maguro. Two cooked styles and one raw style. You will get a good sense of what Nigiri sushi is all about and it is an easy introduction. Then if you decide sushi is something you can enjoy as your traveling companions or the sushi chef for their recommendations on what you should try. A good sushi chef will steer you in the right direction and give you a greater appreciation for the art of Sushi.

Enjoy my friend, you will have a blast!
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote